Over the past few months, Intel has been able to become AMD’s leader in sales of desktop processors at Mindfactory, a major online computer parts store in Germany, but AMD still maintains a significant advantage. as shown by the latest sales figures. Like three out of four processors sold in July were AMD chips.
Specifically, the market share of AMD's desktop CPU in Mindfactory fell slightly to 76% in July, with Intel for the other 24%. AMD’s share is down 82% in June and 85% in May, as shown in the updated sales data charts shared by Ingebor as a Reddit user (via TechRadar), which often provides such updates to Mindfactory.
It is important to note that this data only reflects a single retailer and not the market as a whole. Either way, the trend is consistent with what can be seen in other major retailers. For example, several AMD Ryzen processors represent the top seven Best selling CPUs on Amazon, and eight of the top ten overall. Its latest generation Ryzen 5 5600X and 5800X occupy the top two spots.
Ryzen processors also account for seven of the ten Best selling CPUs in Newegg, with the 5600X again taking first place.
Nor is it a case of cheaper processors that skew the results. On both Amazon and Newegg, the $ 800 Ryzen 9 5950X is the sixth best-selling desktop processor. It makes you wonder what the split might be if AMD’s two fastest Zen 3 chips (5950X and 5900X) were routinely out of stock at first.
The good news for Intel is that while the Zen 3 is highly coveted, it has been able to eliminate some desktop CPU market share this year at Mindfactory. AMD ended 2020 with an 83% -17% split with Intel. The updated sales chart dates back to April last year, when AMD processors had a 91% share, up to 8% for Intel.
This also translates into revenue breakdown, with AMD chips commanding higher prices than in the days before Zen. AMD processors accounted for 81% of Mindfactory's desktop CPU revenue in July, compared to 19% of Intel's sales.
Looking to the future, it will be interesting to see if Intel's Alder Lake release turns the script around. or has some sort of significant impact on what remains a wide disparity in Mindfactory. It’s possible: recently leaked benchmarks showed that Alder Lake’s unique performance was 22% higher than Zen 3. That would be an intriguing proposition if maintained. We'll know soon enough, with Alder Lake about to launch this year (possibly back in October).