As part of the all-digital 2021 Game Developers Conference, the Game Developers Choice Awards and the Independent Game Festival Awards were held in Twitch this year. At the GDC Awards, the big winner was Supergiant Games ’roguelike-visual action novel, which won Game of the Year, as well as Best Design and Best Audio. I’m sure everyone will look good in the stack alongside the other trophies Hades has won, including two Golden Joystick Awards, five BAFTAs, two Game Awards, two Gayming Awards, five D.I.C.E. Prizes and a nebula for best game writing.
Asobo Studio won the Best Technology for Microsoft Flight Simulator category as they modeled the entire planet Earth (and all of its monoliths). Kinetic Games got the best debut for ghostbust-em-up multiplayer fasmophobia, and Valve won the best VR / AR game for Half-Life: Alyx, as in almost every gaming award they have had a category of VR since its launch.
The Pioneer Award went to Newgrounds creator Tom Fulp, and the Lifetime Achievement Award went to Laralyn McWilliams, who was creative director of MMO Free Realms, the lead designer of Full Spectrum Warrior and has credits dating back to Daggerfall of 1996.
After the GDC awards ceremony, the IGF Awards were held, in which they stood out The Umurangi generation won excellence in narrative and the Seumas McNally Grand Prize, presumably because there is no category of best political nightmare in first-person photography. The Genesis Noir cosmic mystery was rewarded for both excellence in visual art and excellence in audio.
Here is a full list of winners.
- Best audio: Hades (Supergiant Games)
- Best debut: Fasmophobia (Kinetic Games)
- Best design: Hades (Supergiant Games)
- Best mobile game: Genshin Impact (miHoYo)
- Innovation Award: Dreams (Media Molecule / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Narrative: The Last of Us Part 2 (Naughty Dog / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best technology: Microsoft Flight Simulator (Asobo Studio / Xbox Game Studios)
- Best visual art: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch Production / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best VR / RA game: Half-Life: Alyx (valve)
- Audience Award: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch Productions / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Game of the year: Hades (Supergiant Games)
- Pioneer Awards: Tom Fulp
- Award for the realization of life: Laralyn McWilliams
- Audience Award: Arrog (Brothers Magic and Leap Game Studios)
- Audio excellence: Genesis Noir (Feral Cat Den)
- Best student game: Boats (Local Space Survey Corps, LLC)
- Excellence in design: Teardown (Tuxedo Labs)
- Excellence in narrative: Umurangi Generation (Digital Origame / Playism)
- Excellence in visual art: Genesis Noir (Feral Cat Den)
- Press New: Blaseball (The Game Band)
- Seumas McNally Grand Prix: Umurangi Generation (Digital Origame / Playism)